Ozone treatment is the most frequently used disinfection process in water bottling today. With the application of a single ozone treatment step, the water bottler can disinfect the water, the bottling equipment, the bottle, the air above the water and the sealed cap of the bottle, thereby provide a most effective barrier to microbiological contamination for the protection and benefit of the consumer.
Ozone Benefits for the Beverage Market
- Ozone is superior to any other disinfection method because of its high oxidation state.
- Ozone allows for lower operating costs and reduces overall chemical costs.
- Ozone is not typically associated with by-products, and naturally reverts to oxygen, so no taste or odor is associated after its use.
- Ozone is generated on-site. Therefore no dangerous storage or handling is required.
- The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) suggests a residual ozone level of 0.2 to 0.4 ppm. This provides disinfection to both the water and the bottle.
- Destroying bacteria instantly, ozone works faster than any other oxidant on the market!
These are the reasons why most water bottlers rely on ozone treatment to provide a safe, good tasting, aesthetically pleasing and storage stable product. As the ozone treatment became a well accepted, routine part of the water bottling process, many of its other benefits beyond the disinfection have become taken for granted and nearly forgotten.
Some water bottlers may not even realize today that the use of ozone also provides benefits, such as, improved taste, elimination of odour, and long 1 years storage stability.
These benefits have improved their product substantially making it a good tasting and safe.
These are the product quality features that the costumers have grown to expect and enjoy.
Since ozone treatment has become such a key process for the water bottlers, they need to stay current with the advances in the technology, and the improvements in the ozone treatment process. In addition they must follow and review the regulatory and procedural changes in BIS standards.
Improvement in quality of pool water is attained by elimination of chemical content. Swimming pool water pollution is mainly caused by swimmers. The pollutants can be divided into three groups Micro organisms, organics and solid particles.
Each swimmer carries a large number of micro organisms such as bacteria, virus which can cause disease. Organics come from urine, sweat, and saliva which contain ammonia, urea and amino acids. These react with chlorine and form chloramines which irritate the eyes and skin. Solid particles are due to skin flakes, hair and dust.
KEY BENEFITS OF USING OZONE IN SWIMMING POOLS
- Bacteria kill rate is up to 3000 times faster
- 50% stronger oxidizer than chlorine
- Reduces traditional chemical use between 80% – 90%
- Reduce handling and storage of unsafe chemicals
- No formation of dangerous by-products
- Eliminate red, irritated eyes and dry, itchy skin
- Remove unpleasant chlorine / chloramines odors
- No adverse health or environmental effects
- Improvement of the filter and coagulant capacities. This leads to a reduction of coagulant use and less backwashing of the filter is required
ADVANTAGES OF SWIMMING POOL OZONATION
- Internationally most accepted for swimming pool application
- More effectively destroys Bacteria, Viruses, Fungi, and Algae & Spores
- 1.33 times more powerful than chlorine
- 3,100 times faster than chlorine
- Ozone has a micro-flocculation property
- O3 destroys organism such as phenols, pesticides, herbicides & PCBs
- Oxidizes inorganic such as cyanides, sulphides & nitrites
- Oxidizes soluble ions & manganese
- Removes Colours
- Removes Odors
- Reduces Turbidity
- Reduces TDS
- Operates bet. pH 6 to 9
- No eye irritation
- No skin blackening
- No harmful Disinfectant Byproducts (DBPs)
- If ozonated water swollen not dangerous
- Environmentally friendly Gas
- Waste (Backwash) water does not require any treatment
- 3,100 times more germicidal than chlorine
- Eliminates the use of chemicals except for pH balancing
- Ends discharge liabilities and chemical storage record keeping
- Destroys all types of microorganisms instantly
- Minimizes condenser fouling
- Decomposes organic waste by oxidation
- Removes existing calcium carbonate scale by destroying the biomass glue bonding agent
- Ozone is produced on-site and requires no storage of dangerous chemicals
- Low maintenance costs
- The most environmentally friendly oxidant
- No persistent chemicals or disinfectants in bleed – ozone breaks down to oxygen
- Reduces the corrosion rate of metals, including copper heat exchangers
- Saves on energy costs by increasing the heat transfer efficiency of the chiller
- Faster Return Of Investment due to the above factors
- Makes the water crystal clear, eliminating all turbidity
Cooling tower water requires extensive treatment. During Cooling Tower water treatment, three main factors must be controlled.
- Corrosion of pipes and heat exchanger units.
- Scaling in pipes and (mainly) in heat exchangers.
- Microbial growth (bacteria, algae).
Ozone Reduces Costs in the Following Ways:
- Reducing makeup water to the cooling tower by permitting more cycles between blow downs
- Eliminating the cost and problems in ordering, shipping, handling, storage, and disposal of regular chemicals
- Reducing power consumption by keeping the chiller heat transfer efficiency high through cleaner condenser tubes