Waste Water Treatment
Ozone (O3) is a very effective disinfection agent and can be used to replace chlorine and bromine containing disinfection chemicals. The advantage of the use of ozone compared to the other treatment agents is the fact that the treatment effectiveness will increase dramatically and the use of ozone prevents the formation of harmful by products.
Benefits of Ozone Treatment :
• Ozone removes color and odor completely
• Ozone disinfects the water thoroughly from micro organisms such as bacteria, algae, fungus, virus etc
• Ozone treatment drastically reduces BOD and COD
• Removal of organic and inorganic matter
• Removal of micro-pollutants, such as pesticides
• Enhancement of the flocculation/ coagulation, decantation process
• Oxidatioin of metals and non-metals such as iron, arsenic, manganese, hydrogen sulphide and all organic matter.
How ozone helps in waste water treatment ?
• Colour Removal – Color is formed by heavy phenol like compounds that have conjugated carbon/ carbon double bonds. Ozone is attracted to break organic double bonds. As more of these bonds are eliminated , the color disappears.
• Removal of Heavy Metals – Ozone oxidizes the transition metals to their higher oxidation state in which they usually form less soluable oxides, easy to separate by filtration. e.g. iron is usually in the ferrous state when it is dissolved in water. With ozone it yields ferric iron, further oxidized in water to ferric hydroxide that is very insoluable precipitates out for filtration. Other metals: Arsenic (in presence of Iron), Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Lead, Manganese, Nickel, Zinc – can be treated in a similar way.
• Improved Coagulation and Turnidity Removal – Oxidation of dissolved organic materials by ozone results forming precipitates. Treatment of a surface water with of ozone results in a decrease in turbidity, improved settle ability and a reduction in the number of particles.
• Algae Removal – Ozonation of a water contaminated with algae oxidizes and floats the algae to the top of the reservoir. The ozone will also oxidize the metabolic by-products of the algae and remove the undesirable odor and taste.
Applications of Ozone in waste water :
• Oxidation of organic waste.
• Cyanide destruction
• Ground water petrochemical oxidation
• Heavy metal precipitation
• Pulp & paper efflents
• Textile Mill effluents
• Textile Dye, Starch, FOG (Fate, Oil, Grease) elimination
• Pesticide, herbicide and insecticide elimination
• BOD reduction of domestic waste
• Secondary treatments for municipal waste water
• Mining heavy metal precipition
• Sewage water treatment
• Process water treatment